Monday, July 28, 2008

The bird shirt

Another Ottobre Design pattern. This one is 04/2008 #11. I made it in a size 104, but think Ruby would have been better with the size 110. The size 104 is exposing quite a bit of tummy if she lifts her arms up, plus it is quite snug in the tummy.

I'm not that happy with the fabric I used for the bird. The pink on the bird blends a bit too much with the shirt. However, the intention is to self-draft a skirt in the same fabric as the bird. I hope to do that over the next week or so.

Ruby has given it a big thumbs up by wearing it for 3 days in a row and refusing offers of other clothing. I'm going to have to sneak it into the washing machine tonight.

The shirt introduced a number of new skills for me. This is the first time I've:
- machine embroidered
- done applique
- self-bound a neckline.

The applique/embroidery went pretty well. The only change I'd made would be to baste the stabiliser and soluble stuff rather than attaching them to the shirt with pins.

I've now made 3 Ottobre things and I have to say I love the magazine and patterns. The tracing off is relatively easy to do. I've been adding seam allowances as I cut out the pattern using my Olfa cutter and 'seam gauge thingy', which lets you cut a certain distance from the pattern edge. I am preferring this way of cutting over using scissors. The instructions aren't too sketchy either ... although you do need to read all of the instructions before you make up the garment.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kathryn T said...

Seriously cute!! Well done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...