Monday, July 21, 2008

Ottobre 3/2008 #18 "China Grass Dress"

This is my version of the "China Grass Dress" from Ottober Design Issue 3/2008. I think it is design #18. The original design included a yoke (which would have been sewn in white), however I merged the yoke with the bodice.

It was pretty quick and easy to make. The bodice is fully lined and it has an invisible zipper in the back. I did find the bodice insturctions a little sketcy. After the bodice and lining are turned right-side out, you must then complete the seam from the notch to the hem.

This is the first invisible zip I have completed. Once I got my head around it, it wasn't too bad. The plastic Invisible Zipper Foot I found would not fit my 40-year-old Elna Supermatic. However, I found another foot in my Elna stash which had two grooves on the front of it and it guided the zipper perfectly and did a wonderful job. The only error was not aligning the top of the zipper with the top of the dress. Consequently I've also had to sew on a hook and eye at the top CB.

Ruby is delighted and immediately went into 'twirl and bounce' mode.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Ruth said...

I like your version of this dress. Ruby looks so happy wearing it!

Pamela Erny said...

Very pretty...I like your design idea to merge the yoke!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...