Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Non-Chilli Con Carne

Non-Chilli Con Carne
(modified from recipe on tin of Masterfoods Red Kidney Beans)

Serves 4

440g red kidney beans, drained
2 tablespoons oil
2 onions, finely chopped
2 teaspoons freshly crushed garlic
500g minced beef
425g can crushed or diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup beef stock
1/2 tsp cumin
Note: Original recipe included 1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder, however I've removed this so that the kids will eat the meal!

Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic and cook until lightly browned. Add meat and cook until brown. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Just an FYI - chilli powder is not hot. Ground chili peppers are hot. Two Ls = not hot, just a chilli flavor.

Fiona @ Feebeez said...

Thanks for the comment Kim, I think it may be a difference between what we call things in Australia and the USA. What we call capsicum I think you call bell peppers or peppers, and what we call chilli I think you call chilli peppers (although I may be wrong there!). I'm fairly sure I'm using ground chilli peppers. (It certainly is hot). The jar is called "Chilli (Ground) Hot" and the ingredients are listed as Chilli.

Fiona @ Feebeez

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...