Sunday, December 28, 2008

Prototype handbag

As I made a handbag for Mum for Christmas, I haven't been able to post about my handbag sewing until now. It has been hard to stay quiet about it! The following photos are of my first attempt at sewing a handbag. I'm pretty happy with the result.





I used a free pattern from Ottobre Designs it is the "Dotted Dream purse". I modified the pattern to include an internal zippered pocket and also a zipper closure for the top of the bag. As to fabric, the exterior is 100% cotton canvas, interior is polycotton. If you are tempted to try making a handbag, I'd recommend the free Ottobre Designs pattern. It goes together beautifully. I'd also recommend referring to u-handbag for tutorials on adding zippered pockets and closures.

The only problem I've had with the bag is that one of the handles is pulling out. This is because the fabric frays really easily. I love this purse and I'll be making it again. I think next time I'll (a) add even more pockets. (b) make the handles slightly longer(c) build more seam allowance into the handles and sew a second line of stitching for reinforcement.

For Mum's Christmas present I modified the pattern considerably. I'll post about the bag next week.





Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...