Friday, January 23, 2009

Thinking of UFOs



I've been thinking about UFOs. I have lots of them. I am the queen of dabbling in many different crafts and often, part way through one project I will start to research another new craft. That is a bad habit as I end up getting distracted and not completing the first project. I am getting more disciplined with age...

Here are some pictures of a UFO which I started about 15 years ago! I intended for it to become an heirloom, and I still would like that to happen. I really should start working on it again.

The project is a table cloth made from Bobbin Lace, linen fabric, and drawn-thread work. It requires four triangles made from Bobbin Lace. As you can see from the photos, I've completed one triangle (about 6 months of work in there) and have another triangle almost completed. Once the triangles are complete they are sewn onto a square of linen, thereby framing the linen square. A border of linen is then place around the perimeter and drawn-thread work is added into the linen. I have years of work ahead of me!





Bobbin lace is effectively weaving using threads that are wrapped around numerous bobbins. The design is created with the use of pins holding the weft threads in the correct position. As with knitting, the combination of two base stitches gives you many different effects. The flowers are woven 'free form' and are secured only at each point. The picot area is a four-strand plait. The braid area is created with two weft threads (horizontal threads) weaving over and under the weft threads.

I loved making the bobbin lace and used to do it in front of television. I really need to start up again, and if I get organised I'll try and post a tutorial or two.


Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Guzzisue said...

love to see the finished piece :-)there are group of lacemakes (bobbin,needle,tatting) on the stichin fingers network, have a look if you are interested.
http://stitchinfingers.ning.com/group/lacemakers

Fe said...

Oh... I haven't thought about bobbin lace in years:-) Probably not since I lent someone my cushion:-) I didn't do as much as you obviously have, though... wow! You should definitely get back to it!

(I obviously failed to subscribe when you moved your blog, in spite of thinking I had... I'm very glad you commented, otherwise it would have taken me even _longer_ to work out I had lost the feed!)

kimara@weefolkart said...

Unbelievably beautiful! I am in awe of the patience and the precision that is reflected in your piece. I tried crocheting a teeny tiny piece of lace and I it was a miserable and total failure! You have got to make this a priority. It would indeed be an heirloom of epic proportions!!! Thanks so much for sharing this with Wee Folk Art!

Michelle said...

Wow - that is beautiful. I can't imagine how much time has gone into making it. Definitely an heirloom piece! Amazing!

Tina said...

That really is amazing. I've never seen anyone do that kind of handwork before. It certainly looks like something that will take a long time to complete, but that's okay. It's about the process just as much as it is about the finished product, right?

Nancy K said...

Lovely lace.

Fiona @ Feebeez said...

Thanks everyone :)

Mary said...

You really need to complete this. Defiantly an opus piece!

Fiona @ Feebeez said...

Thanks Mary,

I have done a little more work on it ... and have quickly realised that I have forgotten quite a bit of the technique ... So now I need to retrain myself!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...