Tuesday, May 12, 2009

First quilt, now complete

My very first attempt at quilting is now complete. I made the quilt by following the Mod Sampler Quilt-Along held by Elizabeth from Oh Fransson! I'd really like to thank Elizabeth for running the quilt-along. Her instructions were superb!

I am really happy with the end result, and the process of creating the quilt was (mostly) very enjoyable. The bit I least enjoyed was spending hours cutting out all of the blocks!

Binding with mitred corner


Quilt front
At one stage I was concerned the quilt was too bright. Now that it is complete I really love it. It is very cheerful and will be just the thing for brightening up the house in winter. I made it with the intention of snuggling under it in front of TV. Now I am considering hanging it on the Playroom wall, as it is so cheery and invigorating.


Quilt back



One of my favorite blocks
I was rather afraid of doing the free-motion-quilting (FMQ). I was scared that I would stuff up the entire quilt. I spent a good few days practicing, and that was well worth the time and effort. In the end I thoroughly enjoyed the FMQ. I would 'get in the zone' and hours would pass without me realising. I think the quilt took about 6 bobbins of thread, so a good many hours went into the FMQ.



Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Kim said...

Oh Fiona it looks incredible! You brave soul for doing the FMQ!

Fiona @ Feebeez said...

Thanks Kim! I think I've caught the quilting bug... (shhhh ... don't tell hubby!)

Fe said...

Wow! This looks great:-)

I credit watching you do this with my enthusiasm for the Super Secret project I think your sister has mentioned (you didn't have much of the appropriate colour left over:-) ).

Now I'm feeling all enthused to do a whole one of my own... (after I explore knitting some more:-) and finish the other related secret project—can't wait till I can blog them:-))

Fiona @ Feebeez said...

Thanks Fe!

I didn't realise you were the *very brave* person conducting the Super Secret project. It is a lovely idea and will make a wonderful gift.

Looking forward to reading your blog about your projects!

Fe said...

Oh no! _I'm_ not the one conducting it... just the one who prodded her into following through with it:-)

Sandra @ Pepperberry and Co. said...

This is just gorgeous! I loved it from the start- those colours are just so happy. I'm so glad you've fallen in love with it also. Well done on completing your first quilt!!!

Sew Lind said...

Congratulations on finishing your first quilt Fiona! Looks wonderful :-)

Fiona @ Feebeez said...

Thanks Sew Lind! It is a great feeling to have finished. I'm just dreaming up what to do next. I discovered www.hotpossum.com at the Quilt & Craft show on the weekend and I am very tempted by lots of their patterns....

How is your foundation piecing going?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...