Thursday, July 16, 2009

Calling all readers ... Parental advice needed!

I am sure this is an age thing ... however my 5-year-old and my 4-year-old are constantly getting into little disagreements, which become a war of:
"I'm telling on you" ...
"NO I'm going to tell first" ...
"MUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMM"

Most of the arguments are over minor things, which I really don't need to know about. eg "Mum, he banged his recorder onto mine". Some are more serious, such as hitting/kicking etc.

I'm after advice on how to get through this stage. I do want them to be assertive and stand up for themselves without needing an adult to resolve the minor argument. I also want them to know when the issue is severe enough that an adult does need to be told.

Part of my concern here is that there is some bullying starting to happen at school. Just some nasty catty girls stuff "You can't play with x because she is my friend and not yours" ....."I won't miss you when you go away on holiday"...."You are fat". Also forcing someone to play a certain role in a game when the child doesn't want to play. (And my daughter isn't the one bullying). Of course I want to teach her coping skills and when it is appropriate to involve an adult.

What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

Fe said...

Have you read Siblings Without Rivalry? The same folks who did How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk. Paddington tends to do better than I do at implementing it... but they have a lot of good stuff.
No solutions quickly, but my 5 and 3 yo are acting similarly (and calling for the police to put the other in jail!) So you're probably right that age is a factor!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...