Monday, October 5, 2009

Fruit Slice recipe & Menu Planning

Photo by Ballookey


Fruit Slice recipe

220 grams Self-Raising Flour
120 grams Dessicated Coconut
220 grams Dried Fruit
140 grams White Sugar
1 tablespoon Golden Syrup
125 grams Butter or Margarine
1 large egg, beaten
4 tablespoons Icing Sugar
Juice from 1 Lemon

In a large bowl, mix the flour, coconut and dried fruit.
In a saucepan or microwave safe bowl, melt together the sugar, golden syrup and margarine.
Pour the wet ingredients onto the dry ingredients. Add egg. Mix together and press into a
greased 25 cm x 28 cm slice tray.
Bake in a moderate oven for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown. Ice while warm.
To make the icing, mix icing sugar and lemon juice together.

Cool. Cut into fingers.
Note: This slice freezes well.



Menu Planning

Getting back on the menu-planning bandwagon.... The meal plan come together very quickly as everyone had an opinion on what they wanted to eat. A miracle! Generally they won't make suggestions and I have to come up with everything. This week is the last week of the school holidays. The kids will be going to day-care twice during the week and will need snacks and lunches. There will also be friends over for 'play dates' who will need feeding!

This week I'll be baking Fruit Slice.



Main Meals

Sausages, mash & vegetables

Roast Chicken, roast potatoes & carrots, broccoli - Jamie Oliver style with a whole lemon placed where the sun doesn't shine

Spinach Pie

Meat Pie with homemade shortcrust pastry - I've been trying to replicate the meat pie that my Nanna used to make. I remember delicious chunks of meat, carrots and peas in a delicious pastry case. Unfortunately she didn't use a recipe and I didn't get her to teach me her technique before she died. Last week I made a pie with homemade shortcrust pastry (following the CWA cookbook). I added random amounts of meat, veg and stock. It wasn't quite the same as Nanna's, so I'll make some modifications this week.

Spaghetti Bolognaise (pressure cooker)

my No Pastry Quiche - I'll do a filling of bacon, pumpkin and zucchini
Fish Cakes with lots of parsley :)


Lunches
- Homemade Pizza
- Chicken & Avocado Sandwiches
- Chickpeas, salad & feta cheese
- Baked beans on toast
- Cheese & salad sandwiches
- Toasted cheese & tomato sandwiches with salad
- Homemade Foccacia


For more menu planning ideas head on over to “I’m an Organizing Junkie“.

3 comments:

Fiona @ Feebeez said...

And if you try the Fruit Slice...

a) Don't forget to put in the egg #@$#$%^%#!!!!

b) Avoid dropping a scorchingly hot sultana down your cleavage as you remove the slice from the oven. (No idea how I managed to do that!!!) Yikes that hurt...

Katy said...

Sounds like a beautiful week planned! I love the idea of your spinach pie, I'll have to give that one a go I think!

Fiona @ Feebeez said...

The Spinach Pie is loved by most of the family. Only the 'onion hater' dislikes it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...