Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Donkey Orchid applique - completed



Applique has been machine-embroidered on by dropping the feed dogs and guiding the fabric by hand. (And yes, all of the seams & border are straight ... it looks wonky from my bad photographic skills)



I am pretty happy with the result. Thankfully I was able to heat-set the fabric crayon at the same time as fusing the applique to the backing fabric. That was a big relief. If I do something like this again I'd:
a) use a different applique backing as the one I've used left a textured cross-hatch appearance to the fabric
b) use a small amount of dark crayon to better define the edges, and create more depth in the applique shapes.
Posted by Picasa

Donkey Orchid WIP - almost finished

The applique is fused in place but still requires either hand or machine embroidery.



I didn't have quite enough blue fabric so I added a yellow border to the block.

Posted by Picasa

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Donkey Orchid applique - WIP

I am currently making the November block for the VirtuallyBeQuilted quiting bee. This month I am being a bit ambitious....
I found a photo of a Donkey Orchid (native to Western Australia), which I edited in photoshop to create a 'pattern' for my applique.
Initially I was going to use multiple fabric scraps to build up the colours ... however I wasn't satisfied with the colours of my scraps. Instead, I have cut the orchid from a solid yellow and have then used fabric crayons to colour the fabric.

Here, the fabric is partially coloured with the crayons. Hopefully I'll finish the rest of the colouring tonight.
I may have one (rather large) problem... The fabric crayons need to be heat-set with the iron.... and the fabric flower pieces need to be adhered to the background fabric using my sticky applique backing. Hopefully I can do both of these things at the same time ... if not I'm going to have a disaster on my hands. (Why didn't I think of that *before* I began????)Posted by Picasa

Vintage fabric

This fabric originally came from Singapore and was given to my Mum quite a long time ago! Mum has very generously given it to me to make something with.
I am thinking of a tunic-style top. It does need some more thought.
As you can see, part of the fabric has been heavily beaded with wooden beads. There is also a number of metres of unbeaded fabric.

The beading will cover most of the shirt front as it covers a length of 16".
Posted by Picasa

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Homade Hommus (Hummus)

Quite honestly, this is the BEST Hommus that I've EVER tasted.

I modified the recipe which I found here.

Here is my recipe:
8 oz dry chick peas (about 3 cups cooked)
1/2 cup tahini
1/3 cup lemon juice
3 teaspoons of minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup cooking liquid from the chick peas (add more if required)
garnish with olive oil & paprika

Pick over the chickpeas, removing foreign objects and chickpeas that are black. Add chickpeas to the pressure cooker and cover with a few inches of warm water. Soak the chickpeas for at least an hour.

Lock the pressure cooker and bring it to pressure (refer to your manual for more information). Cook for 20minutes at pressure, then turn off the temperature and let the pressure cooker depressurise naturally.

Drain the chickpeas and reserve the cooking liquid. Place the cooked chickpeas and all other ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth and velvety. Add extra cooking liquid if required.

To serve the hommus: Place it in a bowl, drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with Paprika.

My kids love dipping salad vegetables in Hommus, so I think this recipe will become a staple in our house. It will be used for school lunches frequently!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...