Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Pattern Drafting - straight skirt

Pattern Drafting has always fascinated me. I did a little bit when I was a teenager, and now I'm going to do some more! I've decided to start by drafting a straight skirt, which I will then modify to create different styles.

"Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear" by Winifred Aldrich is my bible.

Measurements that you need:

- Waist - circumference of the waist. Put some 1/4" elastic around your middle and it will naturally move to the narrowest part of you. Be careful not to make the elastic too tight ... you don't want it to make your measurement smaller! Measure the circumference of your waist at the lower edge of the elastic

- Hips - the widest part of you. It may be a few inches below your waist ... or it may be on your thighs below your crotch. Make a mark on your leg at this point, as you'll need it for the next step.

- Waist to hip - Measure the distance from your waist to your hips (ie the widest part)

- Skirt length - Decide how long you want the straight skirt to be ... I opted for knee length. Measure from your waist to the desired length.


You draft the front and back pieces at the same time. Start by making a rectangle. Top of the rectangle measures: Half the hip measurement plus 1.5cm. Long sides of the rectangle measure skirt length.

...to be continued

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...