Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Swap 'Til You Drop (STUD)

I made this mini quilt for the Swap 'Til You Drop (STUD) swap on Flickr. As my partner Leona has (finally) received it, I can tell you a bit about it.


It is a small quilt, measuring around 8" x 15" (tiny tiny triangles!) and was paper pieced using the Chasing Geese pattern from Forest Quilting. I tried a new method of paper piecing, which I *love* and highly recommend. It involves using Reynolds Freezer Paper, and folding the paper out of the way before you stitch the seams. This means you don't have to pull paper out of your stitching. Here is the tutorial that I followed. At first I was at a bit of a loss as to how to quilt it. Initially I quilted in the ditch around the borders and then bound the quilt ... but it wasn't quite right, so then I stitched the 1/4" lines in the borders and added some stitch-in-the-ditch around the geese. It is the first time I've quilted this way ... normally I do stippling.

I'm delighted with the completed quilt. I might have to make myself one in a different colour scheme.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Quilting Mom said...

Fiona,
This is one of the most beautiful things that I have received. Thank you so much! I find myself just looking at it over and over again!
Oneygirl

Sue said...

oh hello fellow Australian!!! I've just popped over for a looksy from Spicing up the kitchen. I'm off for a bit more of a look :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...