Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sewing lessons for a 7 year-old

Ruby turned 7 last week, and I was feeling very brave today so I drew some straight lines on some fabric, put the foot pedal of my Bernina up on a stool, and taught her how to sew a straight line.



I was concerned that she would have trouble keeping the machine at a slow speed. (There isn't a magic switch to reduce the maximum speed of the machine). Amazingly this wasn't a problem at all. She went at a snail pace and didn't accidentally race off.



The most difficult task was moving the fabric to keep the centre line of the presser foot aligned with the fabric. When she tried to correct, she would move the fabric in the wrong direction. She also wanted to position her hands behind the presser foot, which makes it very difficult to steer the fabric. We seem to have both of those things sorted out now.

At the end of the lesson she sewed her very first seam in a garment. She is going to do all of the straight stitching and I'll do all overlocking. I am confident that she will finish it tomorrow and I am bound to get a photo of her modelling it with a VERY big grin. I can't wait!!
Posted by Picasa
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...