Monday, February 28, 2011

More Ballet Skirts

After making ballet skirts for the girls last week, we discovered more budding ballerinas who also needed skirts....

More ballet skirts

More ballet skirts

(And no, I'm not counting these in the "7 Skirts in 14 days" project).

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Ballet skirts

It has been a week of practical sewing. Laura and cousin Norah needed skirts for ballet. The uniform requirements are quite specific ... style xyz skirt in xyz colour from xyz shop. After finding the skirts that they were meant to buy were $36 for a simple chiffon circular skirt (what a rip-off!) I decided to make them myself.

I self-drafted the pattern and did everything excluding the waistband on the overlocker. The chiffon isn't an exact match to the colour that they were meant to have....but it is fairly close. The materials ended up costing about $3.50/skirt and I spent a couple of evenings sewing them.

As you can see, the girls are happy with the result. (Norah is on the left and Laura on the right).

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A wallet for loyalty cards and coupons

My creation
Originally uploaded by feebeez.
I don't think I've mentioned that I'm involved in another swap. This one is for items for the kitchen. The Grapevine Table Runner, which I posted about earlier is for that swap, as is this wallet.

The wallet is constructed from calico and batik. The idea came from a tutorial on A Spoonful of Sugar blog, but I have modified it to include a coupon pocket.

I've got one more item to make before I post off the package ...

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Purple Redondo

I've just completed my third Redondo skirt (pattern is from Studio Tantrum). This one is for a birthday present for a 7th birthday. I'm really happy with how it has turned out.

Laura modelled it for me and later had to be persuaded to take it off. (I think I'll be making another one tonight).

It definitely meets the swirl test. But to make sure Laura had to do this many many times!

... and the one disaster (because there always has to be one, doesn't there?) ... When I was working out how much fabric to purchase I used the wrong end of my ruler. Instead of buying 40 cm of each fabric I purchased 35cm - which was about 1cm too small for the pattern pieces, so I had to go and buy the fabric all over again. I think the leftover 35 cm strips will become a peasant style skirt for one of my girls.

Posted by Picasa

Wednesday, February 2, 2011


I had this idea .... it began as a sketch of a grapevine. I then tried various ways to use the design on fabric....

I wasn't that happy with the machine thread-sketching. The image was too flat.

Applique has potential, with the right fabric. (I was using scraps and the dark green fabric with light green thread is definitely not the way to go!!)

This wholecloth was my favorite ... but the design vanished too much, so I decided to colour the design in with fabric crayons...

Sutk experiment

...and then quilt the background in a McTavishing style.

Grapevine & McTavishing

I quite like the result! Now I just need to find some suitable fabric for binding.

Posted by Picasa
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...